- It is a system designed to provide managing an organization.
- A system which provide the requirement information to each level of management at the right time, in the right form, covering desired quantity and quality, so that it may form the basis of decision making.
- It is an information system that integrates data from all the departments it serves and provides operations and management with the information they require.
- It can be computer- based or manual system that transforms data into information useful in the support of decision making.
- To address this issues integrated health management system was established in 1993.
- It is organized system of collecting, storing, processing, recording, reporting and feedback of information.
- HMIS, one of the nine routine information systems, provides service statistics related to the health program.
- HMIS is only one component of a large program of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) within the health sector.
- It monitors performance of health programs, health facilities and health work force, provides monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- It has been one of the key sources for monitoring and evaluation of health programs and health policy formulation.
The Health Management Information System (HMIS) within the Department of Health Services (DoHS), plays an important role in providing data but it needed to be strengthened to meet demands. Health facilities across Nepal are linked by internet with the HMIS and are required to report on 200 indicators. We supported the DoHS to revise the HMIS to improve data collection, reporting, analysis and its use at different levels across all 75 districts of Nepal.
This system is almost 19 years old robust and well set that provide base for planning, monitoring and evaluation of Health system at all levels.
The major functions of the HMIS are:
- To collect and manage the health service delivery information for all level of health service delivery outlets including services at the communities by FCHVs and community level health workers.
- To verify, process, analyze the collected data and operate data bank.
- To provide feedbacks on achievements, coverage, continuity and quality of health services to programs divisions/centers, RHDs, hospitals and district public/health offices
- To draw indicators and relevant information and support to the programme management
- To disseminate health information through efficient methods and technologies
- To publish a comprehensive Annual Report of Department of Health Services
- To develop competent human resource for Health Information Management System[
[embeddoc url=”https://publichealthconcern.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/HMIS_Data_Analysis_Use_Book.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google”]