Vacancy Announcement – Child Protection Specialist
Islamic Relief Worldwide, IRW is an international humanitarian organization that provides development programs and humanitarian relief around the globe, regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or beliefs. (http://www.islamic-relief.org/).
IR Nepal invites applications from qualified Candidate for the Child Protection Specialist position for its Nepal Program.
Detail of Job responsibility is mentioned below. Interested candidates are required to submit a motivation letter and recent C.V mentioning the expected Salary via email to [email protected], no later than 26th April 2019. Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer.Islamic Relief promotes equality and meritocracy, and seeks individuals who agree with the IR values together with our policy standards on Anti-Bribery, PESA, Child Protection and Code of Conduct.
- Functional Title: ChildProtection Specialist
- Base Location: Kathmandu with Extensive Field Visit
- Reporting to:Programme Coordinator/Head of Mission
- Contract Duration:12 months Fixed Term Contract (Renewable based on availability of funds)
About the Organization
As an independent humanitarian and Development organization, Islamic Relief has been serving humanity for 32 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people living in poverty.
Islamic Relief started its operations in Nepal as humanitarian response to the 2015 mega earthquake and has since been supporting/working with partners to provide life saving and recovery support to the disaster affected population. Post earthquake Islamic Relief is working on building community resilience through need based integrated development programmes.
S/He will be responsible for designing and development of high quality programme including proposal development, policy analysis and engagement with advocacy and campaign.S/He will guide and provide technical advice and capacity support to field teams and partners in child protection and safeguarding children and young people programming and policy implementation. S/He will monitor the Child Protection & Safeguarding program as per the Country Strategy and M&E framework. S/He will coordinate and manage national level Child Protection & safeguarding programs as required.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to project on prevention and response to trafficking in children and Worst Form of Child Labour (WFCL) through community based integrated mechanism in Rautahat district.
- To liaise, support and work closely with Islamic Relief’s implementing partners to ensure protection of children intercepted or at risk of trafficking and WFCL through provision of Protection, Educational and self reliant services.
- Facilitate access to specialised protection services/schemes to the children intercepted from trafficking and/or engaged in worst form of child labour and their families.
- Establish and strengthen community based child protection monitoring and alert system to monitor child protection cases particularly of child trafficking and WFCL.
- Strengthen municipal and district level child protection mechanisms.
- Liaise with different specialised agencies for providing referral services to the victims of trafficking and WFCL.
- Plan and strategies the community and media campaigns.
- To ensure the programme are implemented within the time and budget while meeting Islamic Relief Quality Standards.
- To provide timely and high-quality proposals and reports to donors (Institutional/IR Partners).
- Support the development of annual operational plans and the regular internal programme planning and review meetings for the Child Protection & safeguarding sector.
Responsibilities and Tasks
A.Project implementation and capacity building
- Support Implementing Partner (IP) in implementation of project activities in line with Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) via collaboration and coordination, field visits and other technical inputs as required.
- Mentor and build the technical capacity of implementing partner staff via. training and regular support to effectively implement the project activities and achieve the highest quality standards.
- Prepare monthly plans for effective execution of the project activities as stipulated in the DIP.
- Guide IP’s Programme Manager in developing field manuals, process documentations as required for the project implementation.
- Develop case management system for victims of trafficking and WFCL.
- Ensure project database (beneficiary detail, case studies, photographs etc.) are well maintained by the IP. Ensure data privacy.
- Participate in coordination meetings, working group meetings and other meetings as required.
B.Project monitoring and reporting
- Facilitate periodic review and planning meeting, joint monitoring engaging respective district level line agencies representatives and other stakeholders.
- Lead on organising the Project Steering Committee Meetings.
- Take lead in designing program evidence studies and monitoring and evaluation tools and processes; lead those efforts at district as needed.
- Prepare monitoring plans and execute the plan to ensure the activities result into expected outputs and measuring progress effectively
- Support IP in compiling and preparing monthly, quarterly, annual (and as per need) progress reports. Prepare project review reports, monitoring reports and progress reports
- Support the Programme Coordinator in preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly project review reports, and technical progress reports to fulfill the Islamic Relief Nepal internal and donor requirements
- Organise meetings, workshops and other information dissemination events with different stakeholders to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts and stakeholders.
- Assist in conducting needs assessments, baseline and end line surveys and internal/external evaluations.
- Working in harmony with partner project staff and Islamic Relief other team members for the effective and efficient day-to- day management and monitoring of the programme activities.
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant team members to ensure all objectives of the program are met.
D.Communication and Coordination
- Represent Islamic Relief Worldwide at relevant various level coordination meetings involving authorities, and other I/NGOs.
- Facilitate the process of capturing, documenting and disseminating project experiences, achievements, good practice as lesson learnt, case studies, human interest stories and progress reports related to various programmes.
- Collect and promote good practices and lessons learned, contributing to a collection of replicable good practices for programming. Identify and document the success stories and failure experiences in approaches, strategies, processes and tools and its results and disseminate it
- Setting up and managing organisation social media platform in coordination with HOM (Facebook, Twitter etc)
- To ensure effective coordination with Government, donors, UN agencies, Red Cross and I/NGOs, Resource institutions.
- Coordinate and work with program team at Country and field level & partners to identify and prioritize the major issues on Child protection and safeguarding considering intersectionality. Prepare appropriate advocacy plan and its implementation.
- Assist IP’s Programme Manager in developing and maintaining networks with relevant district, and local stakeholders.
- Assess the needs related to promoting child Protection and Safeguarding in program and policies and organize consultations with staff and partners for providing sensitization and technical training
- Take lead in the development of relevant project proposal in coordination with the Programme Coordinator.
- Plan and undertake advocacy initiatives at national and district level.
- Represent Islamic Relief Worldwide on the subject in various forums at different level.
- Act as Islamic Relief focal point in the sectoral meetings at National, regional and District level.
- Other responsibilities as directed by Programme Coordinator/Head of Mission.
- Ensure various periodic reporting’s to the HQ
- Deliver high quality results in line with the terms of reference agreed in advance.
- Comply with Islamic Relief Nepal policies and practice with respect to its values, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Conduct/facilitate staff trainings including partners on safeguarding and child protection from time to time.
Qualification & Experience for this position:
- Master’s degree in human/child rights or any relevant development studies
- At least 5 years of technical/managerial experience in designing/managing projects on child protection (CP), especially in CP system, and protection issues (child labour, trafficking) and other harmful traditional practices as well as GBV.
- In-depth knowledge on child protection and safeguarding issues along with hands-on experience of mainstreaming those into programs
- Knowledge of advocacy and lobbying together with providing policy inputs on strategic child protection mainstreaming
- Experience in identifying child protection risks and its mitigation in programming
- Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skills with ability to multitask and coordinate with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent command and proficiency in spoken and written English and Nepali languages
- In-depth understanding of the international human/child rights framework for development, key development issues, approaches and tools
- Knowledgeable about working in disaster management context and relevant humanitarian response
- Proven knowledge of latest debates, issues, research and practice in Child Rights programs and program implementation in a range of contexts – local, national and regional
- Up-to-date and various project design and evaluation models and government program and policies
- Knowledge of the Nepal Government Policies, Program Priorities and Ministry of women, children and social welfare
- Capacity to produce evidence-based, robust program design with knowledge and experience on gender transformative and intersectionality approach
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, a variety of team members and external contacts, through good written and spoken communication skills
- You are honest, transparent and show integrity in your words and actions
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You are part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and interaction both in and out of the office
- You are dedicated and disciplined to see a task completed to the end
- You excel at and enjoy creative problem solving and planning as well as tactical administrative functions
- You demonstrate the ability and flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, “can do”, entrepreneurial environment
Any employment with Islamic Relief will be subject to the following checks:
- screening clearance
- receipt of satisfactory references