Call for applications 2020-21
The WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific (WPRO) and TDR are pleased to announce the 2020-2021 call for applications for the Joint TDR/WPRO Small Grants Scheme for implementation research in infectious diseases of poverty.
Objectives of the joint TDR/WPRO small grants scheme
- Strengthen the research capacity of individuals and institutions in conducting implementation research; and
- Facilitate and strengthen implementation research in countries for the control and elimination of infectious diseases of poverty, including research that addresses issues related to the culture and environment that contribute to these problems.
Priority research areas for support
The number and scope of infectious diseases of poverty is large and wide. The focus of this call will be on malaria and neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) that represent a significant burden, disproportionately affect the more vulnerable populations in the Region, and whose elimination and control is considered feasible using available tools and innovative approaches for health services and intervention delivery, and thus targeted by WHO as one of its priorities in the Region.
Please check the PDF file linked below for the priority research topics identified by malaria and NTD programmes in the WHO Western Pacific Region for this call.
- Principal investigators must be based in institutions in low- and middle-income countries of the of the WHO Western Pacific Region (i.e. Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Viet Nam), including the ministry of health, academic and research institutions, and national research institutions.
- Research must be conducted in low- and middle-income countries of the WHO Western Pacific Region.
- The research project proposed in the application must relate to the objective and scope described in the present call.
- Developed in collaboration with the malaria and NTD programmes of the ministry of health; staff of the national control programme should be part of the research team.