Master in Public Health (MPH) – Tribhuvan University
Master in Public Health (MPH) is 1-year academic course with a mandatory 6-months research work that aims at preparing public health specialists with an ability to comprehend existing and emerging public health problems and to provide leadership in health related educations, services and researches. Currently two Public Health Colleges offers MPH program with affiliation from Tribhuvan University. Total number of seats in MPH program is 27.
MPH course is designed to enable multidisciplinary health professionals to upgrade their competency, especially in achieving PHC goals. After completion of he course, graduates are expected to take up the role of leaders, essentially as generalists with preventive, promotive, curative, rehabilitative and management abilities.
In addition, the goal is to provide public health specialists with an ability to comprehend existing and emerging public health problem in the country, to plan and manage the health services efficiently and effectively, to provide leadership and expert counseling on health and to conduct social, demographic, clinical, and biomedical research.
Objectives of MPH Programme:
- To prepare public health specialists with a n ability to comprehend existing and emerging public health problems.
- To plan and manage the programme alternative to solve them optimally,
- To intensity PHC activities at all levels.
- To provide leadership in health related education, service and research.
- Specific Objective:
After the completion of the course the public health professionals will be able to cope with:
- Promotion of public awareness and initiatives towards healthier living through organization of health promotion and disease prevention activities;
- Management of medical health services particularly as public health manager in rural and urban areas;
- Leadership in health and related fields;
- Inter-and intra-sectoral co-ordination in health;
- Initiation of community health development programmes;
- Competency based health manpower development at district, zonal, regional and national levels and different universities;
- Identification and training of health workers and volunteers;
- Their own different roles as community health and PHC practitioners with balanced academic and vocational attributes;
- Monitoring, supervision and evaluation of health promotion, disease prevention, health care and rehabilitation programmes;
- Conduction of epidemiological, clinical, biomedical, social, behavioral, and education research and operations research and systems analysis;
- Role as expert, advisor or counselor in health services, education and research;
- Planning and management of health aspects of natural and man made disasters and;
- Pursuing further advanced studies.
List of college:
The lists of colleges offering MPH in TU are as follows:
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Chitwan Medical College, Chitwan
Selection for admission
- All Nepalese/Foreign students will have to appear in common entrance examination.
- Merit list for Nepalese/Foreign students will be published separately.
- Must secure a minimum of 50% marks in entrance examinations.
- Admission will be on merit basis in open house counseling wherever applicable.
- The duration of the course will be of one academic year.
Commencement of the Course:
- The course will begin from the second of Baishak (mid April) each year. The final examination will be held in the month of Chaitra (mid March).
- Students’ evaluation will be done throughout the course with continuous modular assessment. This will consist of internal assessments having a weight of 20%. The students will sit for the comprehensive examination at the end of their one-year course. There will be final examination of nine compulsory theory papers (paper I to IX) each carrying 100 marks. The qualifying marks for the theory courses will be 50% in each subject including electives, and for dissertation it will 60%. To appear in the examination 90% attendance is required in each semester.
- The marking on thesis will be 20% including preparation, methodology and development, implementation and data analysis. Thirty percent would be on experts evaluation of the thesis presented and fifty percent or orals.
- Theoretical examination will consist of long essay, short essay and multiple choice questions, practical and oral questions would be valued according to performance, interpretation and presentation. Each examiner in the practical and oral papers will mark the papers separately and the marks will be averaged at the end.
- A student must pass all the examinations (Papers I to IX) and fulfill the requirement for the dissertation (Paper X), She/he should do research work under the guidance of designated supervisor (S) and write the dissertation as per format prescribed by T.U. and successfully defend his research work to be able to receive the MPH degree. All students have to appear for the qualifying examination after meeting the requirement of all subjects and successfully defending his research work. If a student is unable to do so, she/he will have to resit the examination with the forthcoming batch.
The following are basic minimum requirements for the admission into MPH Course
- MBBS from TU or equivalent degree recognized by TU or BPH or BN or B Sc. Nursing
- B Sc. MIT or B Sc. MLT/ BMLT or B. Pharmacy, B. Optometry or BASLP
- BAMS (with one year compulsory rotatary internship for MBBS and BAMS), BV Sc and AH or Bachelor degree in Health Sciences.
- With 2 years work experience, Non-health sciences degree holders working in the capacity of Gazetted officer
- equivalent post with 5 years work experiences in recognized health Institution (must have Bachelor degree).
- Having degree with partial health related subjects in the curriculum without Health Sciences background from Institutions other than Institute of Medicine/ Health Sciences will not be eligible.
Public health curriculum will consist of 10 papers, each carrying 100 marks-Public Health Papers I to IV will be taught in the first semester (3 months duration), Public Health Paper V to VII will be taught during the second semester (3 months duration). Public Health Paper IX is Health Systems Management and Public Health Paper X is dissertation. Research Proposal development will start during the second semester. Data collection, analysis and report writing will be carried out during 3rd and 4th semesters. T/L activities will include lecture, seminar Presentation, proposal development for writing dissertation, data collection (field research), data analysis and writing report.
Modules of the Course
- Paper I Epidemiology
- Paper II Bio-statistics and computer Application
- Paper III Environmental Health and Disease Control
- Paper IV Medical Sociology, Anthropology and Population Students
- Paper V Family Health
- Paper VI Health Promotion and health education.
- Paper VII International Health and Primary Health Care
- Paper VIII Research Methods in Health Sciences
- Paper IX Health Systems management
- Paper X Dissertation
Scope and Career Prospects
Health is Wealth; all of us know this very famous line. The public health professionals are engaged in activities like public safety, protecting from illness, and promote wellness at the population level. Public health professionals can choose to work as epidemiologists, bio-statisticians, environmental specialists, health educators, program administrators, and much more. The public health graduates can work in the sectors like nutrition and weight management, exercise and fitness center, public safety, maternal and child health care centers, chronic disease prevention centers, emergency preparedness ward, global health care, sexual health care, infectious disease prevention center, oral health center, mental health care, etc. The scope and practice of public health is increasing and it is certain to be one of the most lucrative fields in the days to come. The graduates of public health are not only valued nationally but they are also given equal importance in the international market.